Currently alive, at 71 years of age.
Categories: echo $strCat;?>
1948 – Born in Eastern Turkey.
1960-1970 – took up political science at Ankara University.
1972 – Got imprisoned because he was accused to be associating with communist and terorist groups.
1978 – Organized the Kurdish People’s Party (PKK) in November.
1984 – Instigated guerilla warfare against the Turkish government in the South-Eastern provinces.
1988 – In June, he put forward a ceasefire to the Turkish authorities under two conditions, that the prisoners.
would be freed and the PKK be legalised
1993 – Decided a unilateral ceasefire.
1984 – Exiled to Syria.
1998 – He was evicted from Syria in October.
– He requested for political asylum in Moscow but the Russian government was under pressure from three countries US, Israel, and Turkey.
– Went to Rome on the 13th of November, and asked for asylum.
– In December, he officially announced his desire to be under International Court.
1999 – Left Italy.
– Tried to go the Hague but got denied and was not able to enter Netherlands.
– On the 16th of February, he was jailed in Turkey after being kidnapped in Kenya by Turkish secret agents.
– sentenced to death on th 29th of June, for setting up PKK and launching a 15-year war against the government of Turkey.
– On tne 3rd of August, Ocalan urged his supporters to stop the armed struggle and pull out of Southeast Turkey on the 1st of September.